Friday, September 24, 2010

Hearing God

I have this little saying framed and it hangs in our den "Let us be silent that we may hear the whisper of God" by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Most responses from people are that God doesn't speak to me or if He does I sure don't hear Him.

I just want to share this thought. I was reading a book recently and the author said, "God is speaking to us all the time but, number one, we are not alert and living in the moment to be aware that He is speaking to us. Number two, when He speaks it is usually not an audible voice but usually our first thought and then the logically side of our brain kicks in and dispels the thought by all kinds of reasoning. It was very interesting to me because I could see where that has happened in my life. I do believe that God is speaking to us all the time!

I would like to recommended two books that I just recently finished reading. I think they are excellent. Who Switched Off My Brain? Controlling toxic thoughts and emotions by Dr. Caroline Leaf and The Gift In You by Dr. Caroline Leaf. She has researched and studied the brain for the last 20 years and her findings are amazing. The book is easy to understand and a quick read although I will probably read it again to take in all the info.

I started out talking about hearing from God and ended up talking about the brain. Seems like it doesn't fit but it really does. I'm learning how amazing the brain is and what a major role it plays in our spiritual lives along with our "heart". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment