Friday, September 24, 2010

Dutch's Dip Beef Sandwich & Lemon Basil Potato Salad

Last Saturday my daughter and I went on a garden tour and was gone most of the day. I have a lot of hungry guys around our home so I was trying to decide what I could have for dinner that wouldn't be a lot of work but something really good that everyone would enjoy. This dip beef sandwich popped into my mind. This was a great idea because I could just throw everything in the pot put it in the oven and it cooked while we were gone. If you have my first cookbook this recipe is in it but I have made some changes to it. This was one of my dad's favorite sandwiches. So it's named after him.

When I make this for my family I buy 2 chuck roasts. There are 6 in our family and all the guys will usually eat 2 sandwiches.

2- 3-3 1/2 pound chuck roast
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
2 onions medium diced
4 bay leaves
4-5 beef bouillon cubes
4 fresh twigs of rosemary
1/2 tablespoon of oregano
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat Rolls (7-8" long)

Wash off the roast with tap water and place in a Dutch oven. Put salt, pepper and garlic on the roasts. Then add the rest of the ingredients, except rolls. Fill the Dutch oven 1/2 full of water. I put the water where it's to the top edge of the roast. Cover the Dutch oven with heavy duty aluminum foil and bake for 7 hours at 275. When the meat is tender remove from pan and place of platter and let it cool slightly so you can touch it. Then with a fork shred the meat or pull it apart. Take your rolls and cut them in half and lightly brown them in the oven. Remove from the oven and butter both sides of the rolls and then stack the meat onto the rolls. Ladle the broth (au jus) from where the roast cooked (this broth is wonderful, it is almost like french onion soup)into ramekins and dip your sandwiches into this broth.

These sandwiches are great by themselves (and that's what we did Saturday) but I usually fix this potato salad to go along with the sandwiches and this potato salad is wonderful.



Lemon Basil Potato Salad

2 1/2 pounds of small new red potatoes or Yukon gold
Vegetable cooking spray
1/4 cup lemon juice
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cup fresh basil
1 Tablespoon of Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 medium purple onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package fresh baby spinach, cut in strips
10 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Arrange potatoes (cut into eights) evenly on a lightly greased jelly roll pan, coat potatoes with cooking spray. Bake at 475, stirring occasionally 20-25 minutes or until tender and golden. I have also boiled my potatoes until tender and that works well also.
Whisk together lemon juice, basil, Dijon mustard, garlic and salt and pepper. Then slowly whisk in olive oil. Add onions to your potatoes and gently toss with 1/2 of the dressing. Arrange spinach evenly on 6 salad plates and drizzle remaining dressing of spinach. Top spinach with potato mixture and sprinkle with bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment