Friday, September 3, 2010

California Cobb Salad


This is a recipe I have wanted to try all summer and every time I mentioned it my family they turned up their noses. Last night, I made it even though I was getting negative vibes from some of my family. It really turned out great! My husband went on and on about it. I hadn't really planned to put it on my blog but after I took one bite and my husband took a bite he said "get the camera and take a picture and put this on your blog." It is a very flavorful salad and we loved it.

This will be a long time favorite at our home and I hope you enjoy it too!

1 Head of Romaine or Red Leaf Lettuce
1 Head of Butter Bib Lettuce (I used half of this for 4 servings)
2 large ears of fresh corn
2 medium zucchini
4 medium tomatoes (cut in fourths, then sliced medium)
2 avocados (cut in medium chunks)
4 cloves of chopped garlic
2 bags of jumbo shrimp (about 26 shrimp per bag) raw, quick peel
1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Dressing
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons of Agave Nectar
salt and pepper to taste

Remove shell and clean shrimp. Put clean shrimp in bowl and add olive oil, salt and pepper and chopped fresh garlic. Mix well and sit aside. Shuck the corn and trim off the ends of the zucchini and cut the zucchini in half. Start your grill. When the grill is ready lay the corn and zucchini on the grill. Lay the zucchini cut side down. I have a grilling basket that I put my shrimp in on the other side of the grill. So the veggies are on one side and the shrimp are cooking on the other side. The shrimp will cook in about 7 to 10 minutes. Watch it closely. As soon as the shrimp turn pink they are cooked. Keep turning your corn and I turned the zucchini once. When the shrimp is done I removed the veggies also. I had already prepared my lettuce and had it cut in my salad bowl along with the avocados and tomatoes. When veggies have cooled to touch slice the zucchini in chunks and slice the corn off of the cob. Add to salad. Pour dressing over salad and toss well.
You can arrange the salad on the plate and place the shrimp on the top of the salad or you can add the shrimp when you add the corn and zucchini and toss the shrimp into the salad. I arrange the shrimp on the top of the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment