Friday, July 30, 2010

Summer


I was thinking this morning about summer and how wonderful it is. I love the hot weather, getting up early in the morning and working in the garden, making plans for new flower beds and new vegetables I want to try next year. I love the sound of tree frogs, homemade ice cream, watermelon, fresh veggies, swimming, star gazing on beautiful clear nights, picnics, drive in movies, lightning bugs (which you don't see much anymore), sitting under a big shade tree and feeling a cool breeze, wearing sundresses. I love watching the farmers around us cut and bale their hay. I love the look of baled hay sitting in the pasture. Parades are also a part of summer fun along with county and state fairs. Oh, I can't forget thunderstorms and gentle rain showers and all the BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS!

Summer is a wonderful season and I love it and I think it's my favorite until the next season starts.

I have been working in our orchard the past two weeks. My husband has been repairing our picket fence and I have almost got it all painted. It is really looking nice. For the past 8 to 10 years our orchard has been the home of our two chocolate labs, Max and Murphy. Murphy died a year ago on the 4th of July and Max died this past April. You know how dogs are, they wallow out places and lay in your flowers. I just never did much while they were alive. I have been transplanting iris that belonged to my mother and some lilies. I have also been transplanting monkey grass that had taken over some areas. I picked up a great old porch swing at a garage sale. It is so big that I can stretch out on it. It needs some minor repair and I'm going to paint it. It hangs from one of the pecan trees in the orchard and it has a great view to the west. I'll be able to swing and watch some beautiful sunsets. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment