Monday, August 9, 2010

A Return to Sunday Dinner




When I was growing up, Sunday was a day of rest but also a day of celebration ..... a time to delight in the company of loved ones and to enjoy a bounty of wonderful wholesome food. When I was really young we would go to my great grandparents home for Sunday dinners. It was always fun to see aunts and uncles and cousins. My great grandparents always had the main course ready, a big roast, ham, or fried chicken and everyone else brought the side dishes, vegetables, salads and desserts. After the passing of my great grandparents, my mother picked up the tradition and our home was always open to relatives and friends.
Since our children are grown now. Sundays once again have become a time to gather together and see each other after a busy week. A time to share, reflect, relax and enjoy each other's company. It's nice to have a day set aside from the everyday hustle.....a day for family and close friends.
In the future, I will be sharing with you some of our Sunday dinners and the recipes. This past Sunday I baked a turkey. We had mashed potatoes, corn on the cob with herb butter, tomato basil tart, and cauliflower salad and a wonderful peach cobbler from the delicious peaches harvested from our peach trees. I will share one of these recipes everyday this week.

I'm going to start with my favorite today.... " The Tomato-Basil Tart." I started making this tart about 5 years ago and it is a favorite with my family. I have served this at several wedding receptions that I have catered and it is always a big hit. It is very rich and delicious and with fresh tomatoes and basil this time of the year it's even better, if that's possible.

1 - pie crust
8 ounces mozzarella cheese(grated)
5 Roma or 4 medium tomatoes
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
pepper to taste

You can make a pie crust or a frozen one works great. Bake until golden brown and remove from oven and sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese on warm pie crust and let cool. Cut tomatoes into slices and let them drain on a paper towel while pie crust is cooling. In a food processor combine basil and garlic and processor until coarsely chopped. When pie crust is cool arrange tomatoes on top of melted mozzarella and then sprinkle chopped basil and garlic over the tomatoes. In a medium mixing bowl combine mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and the remaining mozzarella and pepper. Mix ingredients well. This mixture goes over the basil and garlic. The mixture does spread well so the best way to do this is with your hands. It's messy but the only way I have found. I take the mixture and pat it out in my hand and lay it onto the basil. When the basil is covered with the mixture. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until golden brown. When the tart is baking, after about 20 minutes you will need to cover the crust with foil so it won't get to brown. Let it cool slightly before serving. It is good served a room temperature also.

No comments:

Post a Comment