Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Return to Sunday Dinner (continued)




The following is a favorite passage from a book I really like. It's about a young girl who has moved to a small Texas town and has been invited by her new first grade friend to her house for Sunday dinner. The new girl in town doesn't have the social status of her new friend and her mother warns her that they might have fancier dishes than they have. The young girl accepts her invitation and this was her experience.

"I loved that Sunday dinner experience at my friend's house. Stephanie refused to eat her green beans, stuck her tongue out at her mother, splashed her potatoes with a fork.....and still got dessert! Here was a world where children, not parents, could be the source of drama. I hadn't seen such sport since the dish ran away with the spoon.
During the next twelve years, I accepted every invitation to Sunday dinner and cherished in my heart what I saw: siblings squabbling, dads talking, lots of laughing, frozen peas, Monopoly, and quiet afternoons. The food wasn't the most important thing to me because nobody made fried chicken as well as my mom. But the families in that small Texas town gave me a gift that became a birthright for our five now-grown children: nurturing, fun and family dinners.......Sunday or otherwise."

Invite someone to dinner on Sunday you never know what it might mean to them!

The next recipe I want to share with you is fresh corn on the cob with spicy cilantro butter.

After I clean the corn I steam it in a steamer for about 10 minutes. Then top it with this wonderful butter.

Spicy Cilantro Butter

3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 generous tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 to 2 jalapenos or 1 serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon of lime zest
2-3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Salt to taste
Crushed dried red chile flakes to taste
1/4 pound unsalted butter (l stick) softened

Put everything and a bowl and mix together well.
This butter is also good on grilled fish or shrimp and fresh squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment