Friday, August 13, 2010

A Return to Sunday Dinner


The last recipe I want to share for Sunday Dinners is Garlic String Beans. Just about everyone likes green beans. My mother and grandmother always seasoned fresh green beans and canned green beans with a little bacon and onion. Of course, that's what I did. In fact, I rarely cooked fresh green beans because I really didn't care for the taste. Then, about 10 years ago I found this wonderful recipe for fresh green beans and I hardly ever fix canned green beans anymore.

Garlic String Beans

3 tablespoons of olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2-2 pounds of fresh green beans
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 vegetable bouillon squares
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups of water (don't cover the beans with water)

In a large pan, heat oil. Add garlic and beans, and saute' over high heat and sear beans, stirring frequently so they don't burn. Add thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the beans then add water and vegetable bouillon. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until beans are tender.

Coming Home! Those words warm my heart with memories. Although my parents have been gone now for 30 years I still feel and remember the fun times and wonderful food we shared on those wonderul Sunday afternoons.

Even when some of our children ventured off to college, using their weekends home to run around and see their friends, we knew they'd be at our house for Sunday dinner. Now our children are grown and have embarked on lives of their own. God willing,(and I know He is) we will live to see our family of four grow to include many grandchildren. Then like my parents and grandparents we will gladly be expanding our table, making new memories and passing on traditions that hopefully will be carried on when we are gone.

I hope in some small way I have inspired you to open your home for friends and family to share in the warmth of your friendship and the bounty of your table.

No comments:

Post a Comment