Friday, July 30, 2010

Big Pot of Brown Beans


One of my favorite meals in the summer as a kid was a big pot of brown beans, fried okra, fried potatoes, cornbread, sliced garden tomatoes and sweet onions and our neighbors wonderful home made chow chow, oh! and I almost forgot sweet ice tea. I know things are not this way today but when I was growing up, we only had ice tea in the summer and we drank hot tea in the winter. When the weather started getting warm, I couldn't wait to go barefooted and have my first glass of ice tea. :)

Well, the tradition is still being carried on. I don't look forward to going barefooted:) but I still love brown beans and all the fixins and so does my family. I hear a lot of woman commit that they don't know how to fix flavorful brown beans they always say "my beans are bland." This is my recipe for brown beans and everyone seems to like them.

I buy fresh brown beans. I get them at the old farmers market down town or at the family owned grocery store where I shop in Chickasha. The night before I cook them the next day, I wash them and put them in a big pot and cover them with water. The next morning I pour off the water and cover them again with water and put them on medium heat for about 30 minutes. I pour off that water and wash the beans off in a colander. Put the beans back in the pot and cover them with water and add the following ingredients.

2 medium onions - cut in chunks
7 cloves of garlic - minced
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 ham hock

Cook on medium heat adding water as the beans cook down. It usually takes about 3 hours for the beans to become tender. Soaking the beans over night and buying fresh beans makes a big difference from buying package beans at the store. It cuts the cooking time in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment