Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Skillet Hash Browns with Wilted Spinach



First, let me say this was not hash browns. It is fried potatoes.  This recipe is for hash browns and this makes a wonderful brunch dish but I decided to add the ingredients to our fried potatoes to go along with the big pot of brown beans I made for Sunday dinner.  These potatoes are so hearty, they are a meal in themselves.  I'm going to tell you what I did on Sunday but the recipe for the hash browns is what I will give you.  The week of Thanksgiving is so busy for me, that I have every day before Thanksgiving planned so Thanksgiving day runs very smoothly.  I don't have time to cook meals the week of Thanksgiving so this year I thought I would make a big pot of beans and we could eat on the beans every night.  Last night, we had bean burritos and we will probably have that again tonight.  :)

I fried the potatoes until they were almost done then added the diced red pepper and the sliced green onions and garlic.  I let this cook for about 4-5 minutes then added the chopped spinach.  I stirred it into the potatoes, turned off the heat and put the lid on the pan and the heat wilted the spinach.  The potatoes tasted great with the beans.

This is the recipe:

6 large potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
1/2 cup canola oil
1 pound tofu, drained, pressed and cubed
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 carrot, diced
5 large garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
6 green onions, sliced

Cook potatoes in boiling water until barley tender, about 10-12 minutes.  Drain and rinse with cold water and drain again.  When cooled to the touch coarsely grate into a large bowl and toss with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet and saute tofu, gently stirring occasionally, until brown, about 10-15 minutes.  Transfer to small bowl.  Divide remaining oil between two skillets.  Heat skillets.  Divide potatoes between two skillets and saute, stirring occasionally until they begin to brown.  Combine potatoes into one pan and stir in onion, carrot and garlic.  Cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.  Stir in red pepper, spinach and tofu.  Cook stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted and red peppers are tender.  Toss with green onions and serve.

Good with ketchup or salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment