Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Creamy Asparagus Soup


When I was growing up my mom would make me creamed asparagus on toast and I absolutely loved it.  This soup reminds me of that somewhat.  I think I have posted this is the past but I made it last weekend and it's so good, I wanted to post it again.  If you like asparagus I'm pretty sure you'll love it.

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 (14.5 ounce) cans cut asparagus, undrained
1-16 ounce can sliced potatoes, drained (you can use 2 medium potatoes peeled, cooked and drained)
1-14 ounce can ready to serve chicken broth
1 teaspoon white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon red pepper or red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sour cream

Saute onion, garlic and celery in butter in a soup pot until tender stirring constantly.  Stir in asparagus and next 7 ingredients.  Bring to a boil stirring frequently.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Cool slightly.  Pour half of mixture into a container for a blender and process until smooth and then do the other half.  Pour blended soup back into soup pot and add milk and basil and heat thoroughly. 
Garnish with a droplet of sour cream.

(If you want to use fresh basil it works great but use about 2 tablespoons)

You can freeze this up to six months.  Just don't add the milk until you unthaw it.  Heat and add the milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment