Saturday, November 28, 2015

A Message From My Grandma Ellen





Here are the pictures of the buffet before dinner loaded with desserts.  As you can see, I did make a pumpkin pie especially for one of my children who couldn't believe we were not having pumpkin pie. I explained in an earlier post that I was trying to not make so much food and since I was making a pumpkin tiramisu, I decided not to make a pumpkin pie. I woke up early Thanksgiving morning and decided to make the pumpkin pie before I started down my list of other preparations. 

While I was making the pumpkin pie, I thought of my grandmother and thought to myself, I'm glad I did make a pumpkin pie because it made me think of my grandmother.  When I was a little girl she always made the pies for our holidays.  I remember her little chubby hands cutting three thin slices of butter and always putting them in the middle of the pumpkin pie.  I always put three slices of butter on my pumpkin pies because that is what she did.  As I was putting the butter on the pumpkin pie that morning, I thought to myself, Grandma I wonder if you can see me making this pie and putting on the butter the way you did. 

When I opened the oven door to take out the pie and saw that heart, I almost cried.  I wanted to run in and wake up Gary and tell him what happened.  I have made a hundred pumpkin pies and put butter on every one of them and not once has a pie ever came out with a heart on it.

My family was thrilled to have a pumpkin pie and they all loved the story that my grandmother had sent her love and wished us a Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment