Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pomegranates


If you are like me you have probably never tried a pomegranate before. I have decorated with them a lot but have never eaten one until today. In the past, when I was using them to decorate with I would wonder if they were very tasty. I sure never heard anyone mention them. Over the past several years pomegranate juice has become popular and the health benefits of the juice are beneficial.

My daughter, Katie recently called me after she had tried one and was raving about how great it was. So I picked up one at the store about a week ago and today at lunch I tried it. It was sweet and syrupy and wonderful. My husband came into the kitchen to see what all the slurping was about. I just cut it in half and started eating it like an orange. The white pithy stuff in between the seeds is a little bitter but the seeds are wonderful, so sweet. The skin is very thin so they are easily peeled and you can just pull the seeds apart from the pithy stuff. I recently saw a recipe where they made a trifle and used chocolate cake, whipped cream and fruit and they had pomegranate seeds in the fruit and the top of the trifle had whipped cream with pomegranate seeds sprinkled on the top. Very festive!

Well, that's my two cents about pomegranates. They're great and I hope you'll try one. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment