Friday, November 19, 2010

I'm 60 today!


I want to tell you a little story. About 10 years ago my husband was doing some odd jobs for two women in Chickasha. They are sisters and at the time one was 92 and the other sister was 89. They both have their own homes and lived alone. They are wonderful women and of this writing as far as I know they are still alive. But one Saturday morning in the fall I had gone to the home of the 89 year old to pick up acorns to decorate with. She came to the door that morning in a beautiful cashmere pumpkin colored sweater and grey slacks and had on very stylish glasses. I remember telling her how attractive she looked and she politely thanked me and smiled. It really shocked me to see an older woman dress and look so nice at that age and her sister was the same way. I had 2 different fall workshops for my decorating business and they came to both of them. They were both interested in decorating. In fact, several years after this the 89 year old sister added on to her kitchen by enclosing her garage and had another garage built. The two sisters also alone took off in a travel home to Florida, stopped in Atlanta to hear Charles Stanley. Went on to Florida to visit one of their grandsons. He took them out in sailboat on the ocean and they came back home. The one who drove the travel home is a little frail thing about 90 pounds.

Then shortly after this, I was watching PBS and they had a story about some Asian people who lived in the mountains and at 80 and 90 how they ran business, worked in huge gardens and were very active and productive people. They didn't have the mindset of growing old and retiring.....slowing down.

After all this, I said, God I think you are showing me something. And He really was. He really gave me enthusiasm and excitement about the rest of my life. To still be productive and that I didn't have to get older and look like a little old lady. You're as old as you think in your mind. If I start telling myself I can't do something then I won't be able to do it.

So I said all that to say I'm really excited about the rest of my life. There is great freedom that comes with aging. I am blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turn grey and my youthful laugh is forever etched into deep groves in my face. I will walk the beach with a bathing suit stretched over my sagging skin and will dive into the waves of the ocean with abandonment and have a great time.

This past month as I have thought about turning 60 and reflecting on my life I realize what a rich woman I am. I have the most wonderful husband who has loved me and made me a happy woman for 36 years. Four wonderful children who have made me very proud and a host of dear friends and family. I have in my life the things money can't buy...I'm truly blessed.

Today I want to thank the ONE who is my life and for giving me this day 60 years ago and for the excitement and enthusiasm He has given me to live the rest of my life with Gusto! I truly do look to the future and smile. He has blessed me beyond measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment