Thursday, April 9, 2015

Chipotle-Cilantro Slaw


This is a winner of the best coleslaw recipe last year in Southern Living.  I made this for Easter dinner on Sunday.  We had bar-b-que ribs, not your traditional ham or turkey.  I thought this chipotle slaw would go well with the menu.  It the midst of trying three new recipes and the chaos of getting dinner on the table, I forgot to add the chopped cilantro at the last minute.  LOL! I knew something was missing when I took a bite but realized after dinner what I had forgotten.  Oh well!

I will make this again but with a few changes.  I will use a little more mayo and sugar than what the recipe called for.  I'll give you the original recipe and you can decide if you would like to make changes of your own.  My daughter also suggested this would be a good slaw for fish tacos and it would be.  I would add some green onions to it for fish tacos.

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tsp. lime zest
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (16 oz) package shredded coleslaw mix
1 carrot, shredded ( I used 2 small medium size)
2 canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (I used three)
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro

Whisk together first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Add to coleslaw and toss.  Then add chipotle peppers and cilantro and toss well.  Let set about 10 minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment