Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Best Pasta Sauce Ever-Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce



This is my first try at making pasta sauce and it is the best I've ever eaten.  This is so easy and you will never be able to eat that bottled stuff again.  This is also a wonderful dipping sauce for cheesy bread sticks.  Please try!

12 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled  (to peel drop tomatoes into boiling water and leave about 3 minutes
                                 until the skins crack, then drop into cold water.  The skins come right off)
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of kosher salt
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, snipped
1 cup lightly packed assorted fresh herbs, such as oregano, thyme, and Italian flat leaf parsley, snipped
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper (optional)
6 tablespoons lemon juice

Cut peeled tomatoes into chunks, add some of the chunks to a food processor. Process until chopped. Transfer chopped tomatoes to a 7 or 8 quart enamel or stainless steel pot. Working in batches until all the tomatoes have been chopped.

Add brown sugar, salt, vinegar, and black pepper to tomatoes.  Bring to boil, stirring frequently; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 70 to 80 minutes or until mixture reaches desired consistency.  You should have about 11 cups stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and stir in fresh herbs and red pepper flakes.

Spoon in one tablespoon of lemon juice into each of six hot sterilized pint canning jars.  Ladle hot sauce into jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids and screw bands. 

Process jars in a boiling water bath for 35 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil). Remove jars from canner and cool on wire rack.  Makes 6 pints

I didn't add fresh herbs or the basil to my sauce.  My husband doesn't care for fresh basil so I left it out.  That day I used a good Italian Herb seasoning that I get from the coop.  It's really good. 
That day I maybe meatballs for my husband and I just ate the sauce over hot pasta.  The absolute best I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment