Sunday, September 21, 2014

Lunch with a Dear Friend


A very dear friend of mine that I've known since the eighth grade, invited me to her beautiful new home for lunch.  I felt like I was sitting in Beautiful Home Magazine (I think that's the name of it). It's so beautifully decorated but this touched my heart.  This is her utility room and this is a picture that she painted when she was 6 years old.  I was impressed that she painted so well at 6.  It's beautiful and the picture next to it was done by her oldest granddaughter and it's a picture of my friend and her granddaughter.  These are the little touches that make a house a home. 

Her grandmother and my grandmother had the same dishes.  My grandmother gave me her dishes when I married to use for my everyday dishes and I'm still using them today.  But she had her grandmother's dishes beautifully displayed in a lighted cabinet.  And she uses her dishes for special occasions.  I should have taken more pictures. :( 

She had prepared a wonderful lunch but one thing she made that I want to tell you about is her fried okra.  She fried it whole and you could dip it in ranch dressing if you desired. It was wonderful.  I thought of all the years I've fried okra, I never thought of frying it whole.  But I found some okra at our farmer's market and fried it whole and Gary loved it too.  I don't know if I'll ever cut it up again.  :)

To fry okra whole, use one egg with milk, dip the okra in the milk mixture and then into a mixture of 1/2 flour and 1/2 cornmeal. Drop into hot grease and fry for several minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment