Monday, September 22, 2014

Fudge Waffles


I recently cleaned out my recipe box and found numerous recipes that I haven't made in years or had totally forgotten about.  This is one of those recipes and it's wonderful. I made this for Gary and me over the weekend and he loved it.  Just the right amount of sweetness.

These waffles make a wonderful dessert or they are great with a brunch.  They go wonderful with quiche, your favorite breakfast casserole or a frittata.  You could cut these waffles in triangular shape and arrange them on a long rectangular platter top with fresh sliced strawberries down the middle and dust with powdered sugar.  You could have fresh whipped cream on the side (in a dish) for those of us who like that little extra indulgence.  :)  This is what I did for me and Gary, I bought the frozen sliced strawberries with sugar and unthawed them and then just heated them slightly (like a strawberry syrup) and ladled this deliciousness over the fudge waffle.  Just the right amount of sweetness for a brunch.

2 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) but I wouldn't leave them out
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chip morsels (optional) which I wouldn't leave out   :)

Add all the wet ingredients together and whisk well, then gradually add all the dry ingredients until everything is mix together with no lumps.  Then add the walnuts and chocolate chips and fold in until incorporated into mixture.

I used my Belgium waffle maker instead of the traditional waffle iron.  I think it works better for this sort of waffle. 

I promise, your families will love these!

No comments:

Post a Comment