Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sunflowers!





These are some of my sunflowers and they have just started opening up.  I thought these were sunflowers with mammoth heads but so far they don't look like they are going to be that big.  I plan on preserving some of the heads to decorate with. 

Last week, I was tying up some of the stalks on the taller stems and when I put my hand behind the lattice to tie the string I was stung by a yellow jacket wasp.  Last year, I was stung several times by regular wasp and I put the chewing tobacco on those stings and it neutralized the venom within an hour.  After this sting, I came in the house and put on the tobacco and wrapped it up and went back outside to continue working and when I looked at my hand the swelling was extending down into my knuckles.  I went into the house and the tobacco was not touching it.  I put lavender and purification essential oils on my hand plus more tobacco plus an ice bag and it continued to swell.  Every 45 minutes I would reapply the oils and continued with the ice pack.  The swelling finally stopped a little past my wrist.  The next day after about 24 hours the swelling started to go down. By bedtime that evening my hand was looking more normal.

I found out later that a yellow jacket sting is a lot more toxic than just your regular wasp.  I will have to say that I have never had aggressive wasps.  When I have been stung I usually am close to a nest and I just didn't see it.  I'm invading their territory, unknowingly. 

My husband was stung by a yellow jacket a couple of years ago and he ended up going to an AM-PM clinic because his swelling went all the way to his elbow.  They gave him a shot and told him to keep ice on it. 

Well, that's our escapades with wasp.  I hope you are able to avoid all contact with the wasps this summer.  :)

Wishing you a relaxing summer Sunday afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment