Thursday, July 31, 2014

Mother-in-law's Tongue




I started this plant from a small 6 inch pot that I bought at Wal-Mart.  My grandmother always had a mother-in-law plants in her home.  She would move it outside on the front porch in the summer and bring it back in the house during the winter.  I don't know where she got the name mother-in-law's tongue but that is what she always called it.  By the way, she loved her mother-in-law, just thought I would throw that in.  :)

For over a year, I left the plant in it's original pot and it was root bound when I transplanted it.  I put it in this pot and it took off as you can see.  The one spike grew at least 6 inches and it produced this flower.  I don't remember ever seeing one of these plants flower.  I was so surprised when I saw it.  The blossoms are so delicate.  I took several pictures but know of them do it justice.  I was excited to see this bloom and wanted to share it with you.  These are great house plants and very easy to care for. 

I have mentioned this before but I water my house plants with the water that I have used to steam vegetables. Every time I water I don't always have the vegetable water but whenever I do steam vegetables I always put it on plants.  Don't throw that good water down the drain.  You plants love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment