Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Basil





Today was harvest the basil day.  I have been trying for 4 days to pick basil and make pesto and I could never get to it.  But I did it first thing this morning.  My basil is doing exceptionally well this year.  The dark purple basil is so pretty and it has little pink flowers when it blooms and it has a little stronger anise flavor than the regular basil.  I bought a sandwich leaf basil this year.  I have never seen this before.  The leaves are huge.  This would be wonderful with some wheat bread a little cream cheese spread over the bread a big leaf of basil and a big slice of a garden tomato and some sweet onion. 

I made all the basil into 3 pints of pesto for the freezer. Last year the summer got away from me and I had no pesto for the freezer.  I also grew more basil this year for just that reason, more to eat and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment