Monday, May 19, 2014

Our Garden

This is two beds of watermelons.  According to Baker Creek Heirloom seeds and a lady that works at Ross Feed and Seed these are supposed to be the best watermelons you have ever tasted.  I'm really excited about these watermelons and can't wait to taste them.
 This is some heirloom tomatoes and sugar snap peas.
 This is swiss chard and kale.
 Beets and lemon cucumbers.  If you have never tried lemon cucumbers, they are wonderful.
These are all heirloom tomatoes.
 
These are purple pole beans that are also supposed to have a wonderful taste.  I have planted regular cucumbers around the edges of this bed.  We use a lot of cucumbers juicing.The garden this year has seemed like much more or a challenge for me.  If the wind isn't ripping down the plain, the gophers are digging holes or the rabbits are eating my sunflowers.  I have to say that Gary has been so much help to me this year getting this raised bed area back into shape.  It has been a big job.  We haven't planted in this area for a long time.  The other garden area is not too hard to keep up with.  We have made paths in between those beds to walk on and every year I'm going to add fresh compost on the top and try not to step in that area.  I saw this on one of the gardening shows. 
If you don't garden much you wouldn't realize how dry it is.  The ground is like a rock.  I can water and within a day and a half it's like I never watered.  We are literally watering almost every day to try and keep things hydrated.  The soil is even starting to look funny.  It's so dry that when you put water on it, it doesn't soak in it runs across the top of the soil. 
Well, you can see what I've been doing.  But I must confess that I love it.  In a perfect world, I would be in Heaven working in my garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment