Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Creamy Dill and Mustard Sauce


Last night was steamed vegetable night.  Asparagus, cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini and new potatoes.  I was hungry and anxious to take the picture and forgot to put my new potatoes on my plate but after the picture they were there.  :)

In spite of the wind EVERYDAY, my herbs are really doing good.  I have been wanting to try this recipe and since the menu was steamed vegetables last night, I thought this rich and savory sauce  would put the icing on the cake.  Boy, did it ever.  It took a really simple meal and shot it over the moon.  With heavy cream and butter what can you expect but over the moon. :)  This sauce is wonderful and there are so many things you can do with it.  And it is very simple to make.

It tasted wonderful on all the vegetables but was especially good on the cauliflower and I'm sure it would be the same on broccoli.  Also, this would be wonderful on baked fish or chicken.

2 tablespoons freshly chopped shallots
1/2 cup dry white wine, (I used cooking wine)
1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper ( I used black)
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided into 4 pieces
2 generous tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 teaspoons chopped chives
3-4 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
salt to taste

In a medium sauce pan, combine the shallots, wine, vinegar and pepper.  Bring to a boil, uncovered, and reduce by half.  Add the cream, and reduce again by half.  (Sauce should be slightly thickened.) Lower the heat and whisk in the butter, one piece at a time.  Quickly add the dill, chives and mustard, and salt to taste.  This is the down side of making this sauce, it separates if it is reheated.  If you make it ahead of time put it in a thermos to keep it warm.  I made ours while the veggies were steaming.  This recipe makes a little over one cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment