Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Nasturtiums


The very first herb class I attended the teacher brought a big pot of nasturtiums and I love them.  They have beautiful bright red and orange flowers (although nasturtiums do come in different colors) and we got to taste the flowers.  The have a peppery, tangy flavor and you can eat the flowers and the leaves.  These plants are related to garden cress and mustard which accounts for the peppery taste.  Since that first class, I have only tried to grow them a couple of times.  Usually, I wait to long to get the seeds and they are sold out.  I hoping this year to have them for decorating food and they are such a sweet plant I will really enjoy seeing them every day.  When they bloom, I'll post a picture of the flowers.  The leaves really have a unique look also.  You could use this as a ground cover also.

At the end of summer, let them dry out and you can save their seed for next year.  In the summer, you can use the leaves and flowers to decorate a platter beautifully or put the flowers in a salad or a flower and a few leaves on top of a dip.  Lots of ways to decorate with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment