Thursday, April 3, 2014

Martha Stewart's Yellow Cake


This is a Martha Stewart recipe.  I always love her recipes but this one was a little different.  My daughter didn't have any special request for a birthday cake so I had wanted to try the recipe for quite some time.  This one was not a winner.  None of my family really liked it and I have to agree with them.  I was disappointed.  It's a yellow cake with a lemon filling and chocolate icing.  I thought it sounded interesting.  The cake is good and moist, the filling is really good and the icing is exceptional but combined all together, it is not all that great.  It is a lot of work to put it all together and since it's not that good I'm not sharing the recipe.  Only the icing recipe. 

This recipe is somewhat like a ganache.  I've never seen a chocolate icing recipe like this before and it is made from semisweet chocolate chips but taste like dark chocolate after it's cooked.  This is the recipe.

24 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels
4 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon light corn syrup

Place chocolate and cream in a heavy saucepan.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until combined and thickened, 20-25 minutes.  Increase heat to medium low and cook, stirring, 3 minutes more.  Remove from heat and stir in corn syrup.  Transfer to a large metal bowl and refrigerate.  Check every 15 to 20 minutes, stir until cool enough to spread, this will take about 2 hours.  Spread on cooled cake.  The icing will thicken as it cools.

I was thinking maybe a white cake with raspberry filling and this chocolate icing would be good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment