Thursday, December 5, 2013

Some Good Information from my Gardening Magazine!

A heart shaped tomato from my garden.  Yes, I still have more tomatoes on papers in our breakfast room.  The pictures from a month ago of tomatoes all over the floor were used up and I ended up canning some also.  Before the bad cold snap about two weeks ago, we had one last picking.  So I'm thinking I will have enough tomatoes to last through December.  I sure hate to start buying those at the store.

I found some interesting information in my gardening magazine about fresh farm eggs.  It answered a question for me.  I had noticed how farm eggs that have been hard boiled are hard to peel.  The eggs you buy at the store are easy.  The article said to put farm fresh eggs in a steamer for 30 minutes.  After steaming, chill the eggs in ice water for a few minutes before peeling.  The shells will fall right off.  This will take a little longer but I sure plan on trying it. 

Also, wood ash from the fire place makes a wonderful de-icer on brick and asphalt surfaces.  The crushed charcoal pieces can be used as biochar, which enhances the beneficial microbe community in your compost pile. 

Totally enjoying the atmosphere of a winter storm headed for our state.  The wood box is loaded, thanks to my husband and the fire is blazing.   Several good magazines and books to read and one of my husband's favorite meals, dip beef sandwiches with some potato salad. 

If you live in Oklahoma, have a cozy wintery evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment