Monday, February 4, 2013

Baked (Fried) Apricot Pies



This was my first attempt at baked "fried" pies.  I can tell you what I did wrong.  First of all, they are called fried pies for a reason......they should be fried.  The baked was just ok.  They were too dry.  The apricot filling was too dry also.  I would have liked the filling a little more runny.  The pies certainly didn't melt in your mouth with filling oozing out as you bite into these little delicacies.
The filling was very tasty and this is how I made the filling.

2 cups dried apricots, diced
1 1/4 cups sugar
1- 6 ounce can apricot nectar
1 cup water
1 small jar apricot jam
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put first five ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium high heat for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally. When apricots are softened add almond and vanilla extract, stir well then add the cornstarch mix with a little water to the mixture and stir until it starts to thicken.  Remove from heat.

I used more cornstartch than I listed above.  I cut it down because I think that is why the filling was too thick.  I will try them again but next time I will fry them.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment