Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gardening Update








I have been busy the last two days weeding and hoeing the flower beds and vegetable garden. I fertilized all the vegetables with fish emulsion and I fertilized all the flowering bushes with Miracle Grow. :( Not the best I know. My blueberry bushes are looking great. I have one bush that is not looking to good and I don't have a clue what is wrong with it. As I was pruning the tomato plants, I noticed that they were ready to be staked. They have really grown! If you are not familiar with pruning tomato plants, you snip off the leaves that are close to the ground to give the plant good air circulation. The sugar snap peas are looking great and growing right up the chicken wire. That worked great!

The spinach and different lettuce varieties are all coming up in the guttering. I took some close up pictures of the guttering in case you wanted and idea of how my husband secured to the fence. He put up 1x3's across the fence and the attached the guttering to that. He then bought supports (like little "L" brackets) and put under the guttering about every 3 feet for more support. I drilled holes in the guttering before adding the dirt for drainage. I put a hole about every foot. So far everything seems to be working well.

Everything is so green and beautiful. I am taking time to smell and enjoy the beauty of my flowers. My iris are beautiful. They remind me of my mom. I dug up her iris and transferred them to our home when we moved here. She had some unusual color combinations that are beautiful. Our peach trees are loaded with tiny peaches and I have the undesirable task or going through each tree and pulling off some of the peaches. If I don't do that all the peaches will end up being about the size of a walnut. I also posted a picture of a tiny pear. Our pear trees are getting old and they don't produce like they used to.

Well, if we get the rain they are predicting over the weekend all the plants should be in good shape after fertilizing them and then getting rain....that's a pretty good combination for hearty plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment