Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Decorating for the birthday

If you don't have the resources to go and buy whatever you want when you want it, then always look at what you have at hand. More times than not, you will be able to come up with something that looks pretty good.

For this birthday dinner, I was wanting a new tablecloth or new runner and I have been wanting some new dishes for quite some time. I actually have not found any dishes that I have truly love. I was pleasantly surprised with the look that I achieved for this dinner with just using what I had at hand. The table runner is a crocheted piece made by my grandmother that I used for a wedding reception back in the fall. I had put the ribbon in it for the reception. In looking through my things I found that and thought I would use it. I used our everyday dishes with some napkins I've had for quite some time. Went to WalMart found roses half price and came home tore off the bad petals snipped off brown edges and they looked great. Then I add some tulips and fresh rosemary for some greenry from my herb garden. I was happy with the way things turned out and our daughter thought it looked pretty so, that's all that really matters.

I just want to encourage you to look thru the things you have. Sometimes we don't do things because we can't afford that new dress, but you could wear that old skirt mix it with a blouse dig out that scarf you haven't wore forever and then you find these earrings that will look great and that pair of shoes you forgot about will create something you never thought of; or like me, the table may not look like I want it too,but after I got to digging I came up with something pretty good and some of my best meals have been using what I have at hand and mixing different things together to come up with a great meal. Even working outside, use what you have at hand.....painting old pots, using that old piece of metal in a creative way. You will feel happy, creative and industrious. Always remember, try to be a producer and not always a consumer!

No comments:

Post a Comment