Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Update on Farm Project

I told you the wind comes sweeping down the plain in my neck of the woods. I could hardly believe my eyes. I went out to work on our project and our new fence had been up about a week. I went out to start working on some vertical structures in the garden. We have some old fence panels I was going to put up for sweet peas to grow on as well as green beans when I spotted one of the pickets barely holding on. I went around the fence to survey it and to my shock the fence was wobbley. I thought this couldn't be, my husband cemented all the posts in. We had experienced several different days with wind gusts in the 40's and the back and forth motion had loosened the posts. So my husband put braces all the way down the fence to stablize it. You can see why I needed a wind break for my plants. If the wind is moving a stockade fence what would it do to those delicate plants.

The longer I live, I have more and more appreciation for my ancestors and what they went through. First of all, having the courage to leave their homeland and everything familiar and then to brave the unknown. My dad's father came from England and his mother from Ireland. My grandfather was in the Oklahoma Land Run and secured 160 acres in Prague which is near Meeker. When I think of them pitching a tent and living in the elements until they could get their home built. Wow, I wonder if I could have endured all of that and then trying to raise your own food. They sure couldn't drag a water hose over to the garden and water.

I got my soil sample in for my blueberry patch and I am waiting for the results which should be in sometime this week. I hope to get the blueberries planted by mid March. I'm still looking for a fig tree for this region.

I got an e-mail from a friend entitled 25 clever ideas and one of the ideas I loved. It was guttering that was secured to a fence and they planted lettuce and onions in it. I loved the idea because if you have grown lettuce or spinach it gets gritty from the dirt getting on it and takes soaking to get all of that off. The guttering would solve that problem because the lettuce and spinach are off of the ground. I plan on planting spinach and several kinds of lettuce in mine. My husband found some guttering that is a heavy plastic (like PVC pipe) that will work great. I can't wait to get it up and see how it all works.

I have run out of red bricks for the edging around my flower beds. I really wanted to get all of that complete before spring arrived but I don't think that is going to happen.

Lots of projects going, I just need to make sure I am getting some of them complete. That's my problem, sometimes I get to many things going and nothing is getting finished.

Until next time........ :)

No comments:

Post a Comment