Tuesday, February 14, 2012

New Project on the Farm


My husband and I are making a new garden space. Last year I was wanting a new space for blueberries and I didn't get started in time to dig up the grass and get the space ready. I'm glad I waited. My mother-in-law passed away 2 years ago and we sold her trailer last fall and when they moved the trailer I instantly had my garden space. Five sections of good dirt with a long narrow concrete pad between each section.....perfecto! As I was thinking about what I wanted to do with the area I kept thinking about the south wind and knew all my hard work would be wiped out if I didn't have some kind of barrier. We had some old stockade fencing we were going to use but when we went to get it from behind the barn it had deteriorated so bad that we couldn't use it.

My husband found a place to buy all the supplies we needed at a really discount price. He brought it home and we built the fence and put it up one plank at a time. It really went a lot faster than we had anticipated. It will make a great wind block for the garden. I will be posting on the progress of the garden space. I will be getting soil samples this week for the blueberry section because the soil needs to be acidic. From my research, if the soil is not acidic I will be wasting my time and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment