Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Chicken Pot Pies



Last week I had some great friends down for lunch. I made chicken pot pies for them with spinach salad. I really like chicken pot pie but my husband doesn't so I never make it. In fact, this was my first attempt at making chicken pot pies and they turned out really good. You could make this in a pie plate, or oblong casserole dish. I had these oven proof bowls that I used. Most recipes I looked at didn't put crust inside the pot pie just on the top. But from eating frozen pot pies as a kid, I like the crust inside too and so did my friends. The pies were a success and everyone enjoyed them. We all ate too much! :(

Here's how I made them.

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken, boiled
3 stalks of celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1-1/2-2 cups of frozen peas
1-1/2-2 cups of frozen corn
2 medium potatoes, diced
3 tablespoons of butter
4 tablespoons of flour
1 chicken bouillon cube
salt and pepper to taste
chicken broth

Cook chicken and let cool then take chicken from bone and cut into cubes. Reserve broth and add one tablespoon of butter to broth plus one chicken bouillon cube. Let these melt. Taste broth to see if you need any salt or pepper. Then set aside.

Take diced potatoes and cook in water until potatoes are tender. Don't let them overcook. You don't want them mushy. When potatoes are tender drain off water and let them set.

In a separate soup pot, melt butter then saute celery, carrots,and onions. After they are semi tender add flour and stir for about 4 minutes coating vegetables and letting flour cook. Then slowing add chicken broth and stir until slightly thickened. Add thawed peas, corn, potatoes, and chicken. Stir well and let cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. Check to see if you have enough salt and pepper.

Then make your pie crust and cover the bottom of your pan. Spoon mixture onto pie crust and then put on the top pie crust and crimp edges. Bake at 400 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment