Monday, February 6, 2012

Grandma Mills' Old Fashion Egg Custard Pie


My family celebrated my sister's birthday on Sunday. She didn't want anything particular for her birthday dinner so I chose to fix Turkey and Dressing. We only had it once through the holidays and my husband had felt a little deprived since we had Italian on Christmas day instead of the usual turkey and dressing again. It was all very tasty and everyone enjoyed it.

I had put some leftover cranberry salad in the freezer and also candied sweet potatoes. I wasn't sure how they would do in the freezer but we always have a lot of cranberry salad left and I usually end up throwing it out because we just don't eat it all. I am happy to say that it turned out great after being frozen. It tasted wonderful and so did the candied sweet potatoes. So we had a few little traditional items to go along with our turkey and dressing. I will post my cranberry salad recipe if you are interested. It is very good and now knowing that you can freeze it........that's an added benefit.

When I am making pies for family dinners my sister will always request an egg custard pie. This pie is very light and is really good but it's not a pie that most people think of eating these days. Most people want apple, cherry, chocolate etc. So I always make my sister an egg custard pie for her to take home with her.

This recipe is from my father's mother. She was a little wisp of a women. Probably 90 pounds, long grey hair that was always in a bun on the back of her head. She always wore cotton leggings (summer or winter) and cotton dresses buttoned all the way to the neck. A gentle woman who told me wonderful stories. They were make believe but I was a little girl and I loved to hear them. She would sit for hours and play cards with me....books and Old Maid. After my grandfather died, she lived with my aunt but would come to our home several times a month a stay a long weekend with us. She always made homemade donuts, a vinegar or custard pie. My sister and I have tried to find her recipe for a vinegar pie but have been unable to find it. She became sick while staying with us and wanted to stay at our home. She ended up living with us for almost a year. She died at our home on Mother's Day when I was eight. I was very blessed to have two wonderful grandmothers.

Egg Custard Pie

4 slightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup sugar, (I add 1 cup sugar)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups scalded milk (I use 1 cup half and half and 1 1/2 milk)
1-9inch pie shell
ground nutmeg

Blend eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla. Gradually stir in scaled milk. Pour into pastry shell, sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment