Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Summer

The heat is unrelenting. Some of my plants are starting to get a little stressed. I haven't done much outside other than water. The ground is so hard that for now I have stopped putting in the brick border around my flower beds. The owner of Wilshire Garden Market was telling me yesterday that she has purchased several large umbrellas to shade some of her plants. I thought that was an excellent idea. For those plants that you don't want to loose that's a consideration.

I have made several skirts this summer and have been swimming at the college here in Chickasha pretty much every evening. I really love to swim and that takes the inches off of me faster than anything else. And at my age, I can do things in the water a lot easier than on land. I am determined to get off this last 30 pounds. That old fat has been in there a long time and doesn't want to come off but it's leaving! :) I'm also reading an interesting book by Rabbi Berg called Miracles, Mysteries and Prayer.

Pretty quite summer for me. I guess the most excitement we've had was our field catching on fire a couple of weeks ago while it was getting cut and baled. Everything turned out ok. Nothing was destroyed and no one was hurt. We are thankful.

I pulled up my tomato plants about 3 weeks ago. If it wasn't the heat it was the wind and they had it. Hardly any tomato production. I so look forward to tomatoes in the summer and this has been a big disappointment. No peaches from our trees and my favorite cantaloupe from a local farmer didn't make it either. Not a good summer! Well, the saying that there is always hope in a gardener's heart, so I am already looking forward to next summer. It's got to be better than this one.

Hope the remainder of your summer is restful and cool. I'll be looking forward to that first real cold front! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment