Monday, August 29, 2011

Being Present






WHAT IS THIS PRECIOUS LOVE AND LAUGHTER BUDDING IN OUR HEARTS?
IT IS THE GLORIOUS SOUND OF A SOUL WAKING UP.


The first time I heard the phrase "being in the moment" was probably 10 years ago and I was in a friend's place of business. She was relating a conversation to me that she had with her husband the night before and she was saying what a wonderful experience it was because they were both living in the moment. I asked her what she meant by living in the moment and she said, "being aware and conscious of that moment." I understood what she was saying but I realized at the time that I really wasn't conscious and living the moment that often.

The last several years, God has brought this across my path more and more (being conscious of my thoughts and actions). The majority of our lives are lived unconsciously. How many times did I used to eat and I wasn't even hungry and I didn't stop and ask myself are you hungry? Why are you eating? Now, I'm mindful when I eat. We live by rote and as we live our daily lives our subconscious mind is going one hundred miles an hour. We have at least 60,000 thoughts a day and 80% of them are negative. Being conscious is being aware of what you are thinking and doing. Like the Bible says, think about things that are good and pure and lovely, be alert and sober. Have our minds been trained to believe the best about a person when something about their character is in question. Do we choose to walk in love when we have been hurt or offended. We have patterns of thinking that when something happens in our life our minds just take off in a negative direction. I want to say I'm not there yet but I'm getting there. It is really a battle to stay conscious and live in the moment. You need to try it for a few minutes :). You noticed that I said a few minutes. We are so programed to just exist and let our negative emotions run our lives. The thoughts are constantly there to bring you down. You are not pretty, you are fat, you are not smart enough, you are not that creative, she does it better than you, they don't like me, my house is not nice enough and the list goes on and on.

The main thing that started my change was about five years ago and that was when I started loving and accepting myself. I finally accepted who I am and the way God made me. That is a whole other story I will have to tell you about some other time. It happened through a little stray dog that showed up at our house.

I wanted to tell you about something that I am excited about in my life and I hope it helps you in some way.
Have a wonderful day and be PRESENT!

Beautiful sunrise Sunday morning. (pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment