Thursday, February 16, 2017

Wisconsin Cauliflower Cheddar Soup





My daughter mentioned to me that she had made a good cauliflower soup several months ago.  I was having a dear friend down for dinner and was trying to think of something good for our meal and I remembered her soup.  I got the recipe from her and I cannot tell you how wonderful this soup taste. 
It is one of the best soups I've  tasted in a while.  It is easy to make and doesn't take long.  I thought it tasted good before I ever added the cheese.  This soup is a winner.
2 tablespoons butter
1 white onion, diced
2 minced garlic cloves
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
3 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 teaspoons salt
1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets
1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar
one roasted jalapeno, skinned and seeded

Melt butter in a large pot.  Add garlic and onion and saute until onions are tender.  Add flour and stir until mixture clumps up.  Then gradually add milk and broth stirring until mixture is smooth.  Next add cauliflower, jalapeno and salt.  Simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.  Put the soup in the blender in batches and blend until smooth (be care because it is hot, don't fill blender to the top just half way and hold a dish towel over the top of the blender). Return mixture to soup pot and on low heat add the cheeses and stir until melted and well combined. 

The jalapeno is optional.  My daughter just added it the first time she made the soup.  She thought it sounded good. It is not part of the original recipe.  It adds a little heat and I think it makes the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment