Sunday, February 12, 2017

California Chopped Salad


This salad is wonderful!  It is one of Giada's recipes (from Food Network) and as I was looking through my salad recipes I ran across it.  I had forgotten about it.  I told my husband recently that I was tired of fixing the same old thing and to get ready because most nights are going to be a surprise.  All those recipes I have torn out of magazines and forgotten recipes (like this one) are going to be on the table.  If you are like me, I have piles of recipes from different places.  I'm tired of moving the piles from one place to another so I'm trying them or they are going in the trash. 

This salad is so light and fresh.  We love it!  It helps to have a grill pan or you can grill the vegetables on your outdoor grill.
1Romaine lettuce
1 ear of corn (after you grill cut corn from the cob)
1zucchini
cherry tomatoes
2 avocado
12 jumbo shrimp

Dressing
juice of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste
a couple of squirts of agave nectar
slowing whisk in olive oil until it slightly thickens

Cut Romaine in half and put on grill until you have some grill marks.  Don't leave it too long you don't want it to wilt.  I didn't do this, I just chopped up one head red leaf lettuce.
There is not any fresh corn this time of the year so I bought a small bag of frozen corn and let it unthaw then  put a cup of it on the grill after I cooked everything else. I let it get some grill marks and then removed it.  Cut the zucchini in fourths. I rub some olive oil over each piece and salt and pepper to taste.  Put on the grill and grill all sides (crisp tender).  Then remove from grill and cut into chunks. Drizzle the shrimp with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Then put the shrimp on the grill and cook turning once.  When the shrimp start to turn pink they are cooked. I make a bed of lettuce on a plate and put the corn of first, then the zucchini, shrimp and top with sliced cherry tomatoes and an avocado sliced in chunks.
Drizzle dressing over top.

The first time I made this salad, I did grill the Romaine.  It is good but I was in a hurry when I made this and I didn't want to take the time to grill the Romaine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment