Friday, November 25, 2016

A Fresher Version of a Green Bean Casserole


For years we had broccoli and rice casserole at Thanksgiving, then I started making Brussel sprouts and not all of the family likes Brussel sprouts so I was thinking about making a green bean casserole.  As I thought about it, I knew I didn't want to make the traditional green bean casserole.  I had in my mind how I wanted to do it and this is what I did and it turned out a winner.  I had great reviews at Thanksgiving.  If you want to try something new for Christmas dinner you will have to give this a try.  It's a little more work but worth every bite.  :)

I used the French green bean (it is very thin) called Haricot verts.  I get them at Sam's and I think they come in 2 pound packages but I'm not sure.  You could use regular fresh green beans but I think these are the best.  I used 1 1/2 pounds but you could use the whole 2 pounds. I put about 2 tablespoons of butter and about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. I let the butter melt then I added 3 cloves of minced garlic and added the green beans (the beans had the ends removed, washed and patted dry and I cut the bean in half) and salted the green beans to taste.  I sautéed the green beans for about 3 minutes until they turn the bright green then I added a small package of chestnut mushrooms sliced very thin and let them cook with the green beans.  To this I added  1 1/2 cans of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup sour cream.  Mix this together well and cover with a lid over medium low heat for maybe 5-6 minutes.  Watch it because the soup will thicken and it can burn.  Then put in a casserole dish.  I covered mine with saran wrap after it cooled and kept it in the refrigerator over night.  The next morning I used my mandolin on medium thin and sliced two onions.  I used a paper towel to pat them dry.  I then heated vegetable oil until it reached 325 degrees and fried the onions until they were golden brown.  Drained them on a paper towel.  When they were cool I scattered them over the top of the casserole.  You don't have to keep the casserole in the refrigerator over night, I did it to save time Thanksgiving morning.

I covered the casserole with foil and baked at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment