Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Quinoa and Black Bean Salad


This is so good, I loved it!  I made it for myself for dinner tonight, hubby was gone.  This can be a meal in its self, which it was for me but it would be wonderful as a salad with a piece of grilled fish or chicken.

I had been thinking that I would make this today and I was thinking Couscous black bean salad so guess what, that is what I cooked before I looked at the recipe to see that it was Quinoa and not couscous.  I'm thinking it couldn't be any better with the quinoa.  So use the one you prefer. I also added the cilantro chopped to the salad dressing and whisked it in instead of using it as a topping with the tomato and avocado.  Again, I don't think it changes the taste it's just your preference.

1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 medium sweet orange pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced  ( I used three)
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

In a small saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil.  Add quinoa,  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 12-16 minutes or until liquid is absorbed,  Remove from the heat; fluff wit a fork.

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the orange pepper, onion and garlic for 2 minutes.  Stir in beans and corn, cook 2-3 minutes or until onion is somewhat tender.  Remove from heat, cool for 5 minutes. 

In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lime juice, vinegar, salt, pepper an chili powder.  Pour over the quinoa mixture and stir well.  Spoon onto a plate and top with cherry tomatoes, cube avocado and cilantro.

Then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment