Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Chicken, Bean and Pasta Soup


I made this for dinner tonight and you are probably thinking......soup and it's pushing the hundred degree mark!  I am a soup lover winter or summer.  This is light and with a simple salad of cucumber, tomato and greens it makes a wonderful light summer dinner.  I hope you will try it, it has a wonderful flavor.

1 whole chicken, boil until tender and save the broth
4 ounces dried medium shell pasta
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup fresh baby arugula
1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Parmesan cheese
Kalamata Olives (optional)

Remove chicken from the bone when cooled and cut in bite size pieces. 
Use the broth from the chicken you will need at least 4 cups and add the pasta, red pepper flakes and the can to tomatoes to the broth and simmer covered for about 10 minutes until pasta is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in chicken, cannellini beans and arugula.  Heat through and ladle into soup bowls.  Top with Parmesan cheese and torn basil leaves. You can scatter sliced Kalamata olives over the top for a little briny pop but do it right before serving or it will get too salty.

I didn't have shell pasta so I used small macaroni that I had on hand and I also used baby spinach instead of arugula because I didn't want to go to the store.  This is a quick soup.  After the chicken is cooked it doesn't take anytime to put it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment