Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Blueberry Scones


I think I have posted another recipe for blueberry scones but this new one is the best.  This scone will melt in your mouth.  I got this recipe from a wonderful friend who is also an amazing cook.  I stopped by her home one morning on my way to the city to drop off something and she handed me one of these scones as I was leaving, still warm from the oven.  From the first bite, I knew these were the best scones I had ever eaten.  Trust me, you will love these.

8 tablespoons butter, very cold
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup whole milk or heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teapsoons baking powder
1/4 teapsoon baking soda
1/2 teapsoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons of melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar, for dusting

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest in a large bowl.  Grate the butter into the bowl and mix together with your hands to break up any clumps.  In a separate bowl, whisk the milk and sour cream.  Pour into the flour mixture and stir with a fork until mixture just comes together.  Turn out onto a  lightly floured surface and gently knead a few times.  Fold the dough by thirds (like a letter) and place back into the freezer for 5 minutes.

Roll into a 12" square.  Sprinkle the blueberries evenly over the surface of the dough, and gently press to embed them in the dough.  Roll up to form a tight log, then flatten slightly.  Cut into rectangular pieces.  Transfer to baking sheet.  Brush the tops with butter and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes.  Can drizzle a glaze over the top is desired.  Make glaze with about 2-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar with a little cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment