Friday, September 23, 2011

Yoga Class

Over a year ago I attended my first Yoga class. I had every intention before I attended to do this at least 2 to 4 times a week. After the first class I never went back. :( It is probably the hardest exercise I have ever done. Maybe, it's because I'm older.

I think I mentioned in an early blog that I still have 30 pounds I want to get off. So I was recently putting together an exercise program for myself and I knew I needed to incorporate the Yoga class in my regimen. It has been over a year so I somewhat forgot about how hard it is. Now I want to say, that Yoga is a lot of stretching and flexibility and it is amazing how you sweat when you are not really doing anything aerobic.

So last week I went back to my first class in over a year. It first started with a lot of stretching and it felt good and I thought to myself, "Ok, this is not so bad." Then things started to pick up and I then remembered why I never came back. Ok, visualize this. On the floor, in a men's push up position and from this position you bring one leg up under you and come up into a standing position. Oh my gosh, I can't even tell you how hard this is. My thoughts, in the midst of all of this was I'm not doing this, I'm not coming back, this is just too flippin hard, then I thought no, I can do this and I have to make myself do this. It is good for my body. As I do it, it will become easier.

Toward the end of the class, I started laughing because of what I am about to tell you. I think everyone pretty much experiences this, even though we are getting older, inside, in our spirit, we still feel like we are in our 20's or maybe 30's. Anyway that's how I feel. So here I am, standing with this huge rubber band stretched around my foot holding it with my hand and this leg is out in the air and I am trying to balance myself on the other foot. Really struggling to keep standing and all of a sudden I look up and this huge mirror is in front of me and I wonder who this old woman is trying to stand on one foot and about to fall on her face.

It was funny! You probably don't see the humor in all of this but you needed to be there to really appreciate it. So, the moral to this story is I am not giving up. I am making myself attended the Yoga class once a week and my goal is to work into twice a week. When the class was over, I really felt better and was I ever sore the next day. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

I'm determined, "I will not give up."

No comments:

Post a Comment