Monday, March 29, 2010

Three of My Favorite Ways to Cook Fish

If you are like me, I love fish but for a long time I didn't have any way to cook it that I really liked. I would just salt and pepper it maybe squeeze a little lemon on it and bake it. About 5 years ago my daughter took a cooking class on the different ways to cook fish. She laid the recipes on my desk and there they remained until I was cleaning off my desk and found them and decided to try some of them. The honey glazed salmon is one of my favorites. If I am lucky enough to have any left over, I love it cold and enjoy it just as much the next day for lunch.

Honey Glazed Salmon
1/4 cup of honey
2 Tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon of melted butter (I have left the butter out and it is still good)
1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
4 salmon filets (4-6 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat over to 400 degrees. Combine four top ingredients for sauce and whisk together. Place salmon in greased baking dish and drizzle sauce over top of salmon and sprinkle walnuts on top of sauce. Bake for 20 minutes or until salmon flakes easily. It turns out perfect every time.

Serve immediately!



Baked Cod Filets

4 cod filets you can also use flounder
one part cornmeal to 2 parts flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil

In a large skillet heat olive oil. Salt and pepper both sides of fish. Mix cornmeal and flour together in a zip lock bag then dredge each filet into flour mixture and put into hot oil. About one minute on each side. You just want to get a crusty coating. Then lay the filet into a greased baking dish and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes at 400 degrees. My husband loves the recipe and never gets tired of it. I sometimes make a lemon dill sauce to serve with this fish.

Lemon Dill Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon dried dill weed or 1-2 tablespoon of fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 fresh chopped garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
Stir together all ingredients and chill.
Makes 1 1/4 cup


This is a recipe I have used for a long time and we love it. It is for crab cakes but I also make salmon cakes from this recipe. I just substitute the salmon for the crab. If there are leftovers these are also just as wonderful the next day. I also use the lemon dill sauce for the crab cakes and salmon cakes. Something else I have done is to make salmon or crab cakes in miniature size as an appetizer with the lemon dill sauce for dipping. I buy canned salmon at Sam's and it is the best canned salmon I have found. Very clean with no bones and it looks great.

Galatha's Crab Cakes

4 cups saltine crumbs, divided
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup diced onion
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1 pound lump crab meat (fresh drained)

Stir together 2 cups of cracker crumbs and next 9 ingredients; fold in crab meat. Shape into patties and dredge into remaining 2 cups of cracker crumbs. Lay on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 15 minutes on each side. You can also take about 3 tablespoons of butter and mix it with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and fry these in a skillet. About 4 minutes on each side.
This makes 4 patties or 8 appetizers.

This red bell pepper sauce is a sauce I also make to go with the lemon dill sauce when I make appetizers.

Red Bell Pepper Sauce

1 red bell pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Sherry
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

Place bell pepper on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until pepper is blistered, turning once. Place pepper in a heavy-duty zip top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10-15 minutes to loosen skin. Peel pepper and discard seeds. Process pepper and 1/4 cup mayo in processor until smooth. Stir in remaining mayo, sherry and ingredients. Chill.
Makes 1 1/4 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment