Friday, January 6, 2017

The Perfect Winter's Day



The snow has been falling since I got up.  It is so pretty and peaceful!  I sat for some time this morning just watching it fall.  I was thankful that I didn't have to get out and go work in it.  We have a very nice mailman and I was thinking of him this morning and we have our trash pick up on Fridays.  Certainly, not enjoyable for them or maybe there are some great souls that can see and enjoy the beautiful while taking care of business.

We all think of nestling in by the fire place, having a great hot chocolate, reading a book or doing some knitting or embroidery.  That's me any way.  This is my grandson's first snow to be able to play in it and he loved it.  My daughter sent me some pictures.  I wish he had my sled!


The best cup of hot chocolate I have ever had was from a little coffee shop in Aspen.  Years ago, we had a basketball championship in Estes Park, Colorado.  We went up several days early for our children to ski.  They skied one day at Vail and one day at Aspen.  You always hear about these places and that's where the rich and famous go.  My evaluation was no to Vail but Aspen was beautiful.  Very quaint, more like a little village in Switzerland.  We went to this little coffee shop and I got a cup of hot chocolate.  After we came home, this was my attempt to recreate the recipe.  It's pretty close. I usually make 4-6 cups and keep it warm on the stove.  My ole bear loves this.
I'm guessing on the measurements.  I just put it in the pan and taste.  You can do the same, that may be too much sugar or not enough. 

4 cups of milk
2 cups of half n half (if you really want rich you can use heavy cream)
1to 1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/4 to 1/3 cup Hersey's Coco
Put over medium heat and gently whisk until the sugar and coco have melted.  Stir occasionally until boiling. Pour into your favorite mug and top with a dollop of real whipped cream.

Have a cozy day~

No comments:

Post a Comment