Sunday, January 22, 2017

Shaved Broccoli Slaw

This is a wonderful slaw with a delicious dressing.  I made this last night for dinner and my husband and I both loved it.  I love salad and could eat it every night but I like to have a variety to choose from and this one will go on my list. 

Before I tell you how to make it, I want to tell you about something I picked up from watching Martha Stewart.  I have been roasting a lot of vegetables and she had a great suggestion for potatoes.  I like to use the small red potatoes or fingerling potatoes you salt and pepper them and drizzle them with olive oil and she also used fresh thyme on hers and tossed them.  I also like them with salt, pepper and smoked paprika, olive oil and toss.  But this is the tip, put your cookie sheet in a hot oven and let it set while you are preparing your potatoes.  Then take out the very hot pan and lay the potatoes cut side down on the hot pan.  You will hear them sizzle.  Cook at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.  They have a crispy side as if they had been fried.  Just delicious!

3 broccoli stalks
3 medium carrots
1/4 green or Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
2 large button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, cut into thin rounds
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped

Yam Maple Vinaigrette

1/4 cup mashed yam
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
1 medium garlic clove, minced
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
pinch red chili flakes
1 tablespoon water

Trim a small slice off the base of each broccoli stalk, and trim off the woody skin on the outside of the stalk using a vegetable peeler.
Shave the tender inside of the broccoli stalk into long ribbons with a vegetable peeler and place in salad or serving bowl.
Peel the carrot into long ribbons in the same fashion and place with the shaved broccoli.  Add cabbage, mushrooms, onion and cilantro and toss to combine.

To prepare the vinaigrette, whisk together the yam puree, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium size bowl. 
Add olive oil slowly, in a thin stream, whisking continually.  It's important to add the oil very slowly or the dressing will separate.
Add the oregano and red chili flakes, stir well.
If you like your dressing a little thinner, add the water and stir until incorporated.
Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.

I used a sweet onion instead of red.  This time of the year they are very pungent.

No comments:

Post a Comment