Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Old Fashion Applesauce Cake with Caramel Icing

This is a great dessert for Sunday dinner in the fall.  My thoughts after making the cake, which I put in a 9x13 baking dish, was this would be very pretty in one of those beautiful cake molds with the icing drizzled over it. It would make a great presentation on a pedestal cake stand.  Apples plus caramel always equals WONDERFUL!

I was looking through an old cook book for an applesauce cake recipe.  My husband is not a fan of a lot of icing and I was going to put the applesauce cake in loaf pans.  But I found this caramel icing recipe in another section and thought, "oh my goodness this would be great on an applesauce cake."  The icing makes quite a bit.  I knew it would be pretty thick on the cake so I just drizzled it over the cake while it was warm.  I'm saving the rest of the icing for this weekend.  I'm going to make apple dumplings and this icing will be wonderful warmed and drizzled over the dumplings.  Oh my gosh, I can't wait!

Applesauce Sauce Cake

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup raisins, cooked and drained
1/2 cup chopped dates
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons soda

Cream butter and sugar.  Add applesauce and dates.  Mix nuts with 1 cup flour and add to the creamed mixture.  Mix other ingredients to the remaining flour and sift.  Stir into the mixture and bake at 300 degrees until done.  It took my cake about 40 minutes.  Test the cake with a toothpick to make sure it is done.  I put the raisins in one cup of water and let them come to a boil for just a couple of minutes.  Then drain.

Caramel Icing

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup white Karo syrup
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 large can of Milnot
2 tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix sugar, flour, syrup and milk.  Bring to a boil and cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Add butter and vanilla.  Let cool.  Beat until creamy and thick enough to spread.


No comments:

Post a Comment