Saturday, October 29, 2016

Mississippi Roast vs. Dutch's Dip Beef


A couple of weeks ago I was watching The Kitchen on the Food Network Channel.  They were talking about a roast recipe that had gone viral on the internet.  They had the women who came up with the original recipe on their show that day.  It was originally a family recipe and it was too spicy for her family so she changed it up a bit.  It is a very simple recipe and we ate it one night with a baked potato and salad and the next day I warmed up the meat in the juices and made a sandwich on ciabatta bread and put a little grated gruyere cheese on top.  I liked the sandwich the best. The pepperoncini peppers give it a unique flavor.  The recipe on the Kitchen that day was one stick of butter, 1/4 cup water, one package of Hidden Valley Ranch Mix (dry), one package of AuJus Gravy Mix by McCormick, Pepperoncini peppers and the jar with the juice and a 3-4 pound roast. She said to use the roast of your choice.  I had a rump roast that I used and I would definitely say to use a chuck roast.  You put all the ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.  As I looked on line, there were many variations to the recipe.  The author of the recipe never mentioned salt and pepper which it needed. 

I don't normally toot my own horn but this time I have to say something.  If bloggers and Sam Sifton of the New York times thinks that is an exceptional recipe then they must try my recipe for dip beef.  It's called Dutch's Dip Beef after my dad, he loved it! This is a family favorite and we never get tired of this.  It is wonderful with your favorite potato salad.   This recipe is 35-40 years old and I too, have made changes from the original.  The original used dried onion flakes and all the spices were dried and I use fresh rosemary, fresh onions and beef flavoring. This sandwich will melt in your mouth and the flavor is phenomenal.  The smell, when this roast is cooking is out of this world.  I promise you it will be a favorite with your family.

When I make this for our family I buy two chuck roasts about 4 pounds each.  I used to buy those hard French crusty rolls (about 7-8 inches long) by Pepperidge Farms but I can't find those any more.  I love ciabatta rolls, so I have started using those.  I toast the bread and then butter it and pile lots of roast on the sandwich.  The au jus is so flavorful it's almost like French onion soup.

I wash off the roast and pat them dry and then season liberally with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  I put them in a Dutch oven and cover them with 2 large diced white onions.  One half tablespoon of oregano, 4 bay leaves, and 5 to 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary laid on top of the roast. You can either use about 4 beef bouillon cubes or I use beef flavoring that doesn't have MSG in it.  I use 3 to 4 tablespoons and I add it to about 6 cups of water.  You want to add water that comes to the top edge of the roast but not covering the roast. That is around 6 cups. I cover the Dutch oven with foil and cook at 275 degrees for about 5 hours.  Check for tenderness and cook longer if needed.  When ready to serve remove roast from Dutch oven and use two forks to pull meat apart.  It should almost fall apart and then pile roast on your toasted roll and have a small bowl of au jus for each sandwich.

Well, it's a winner.  I hope the New York Times gets wind of it!  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment