Thursday, August 6, 2015

Raised Beds


I thought this was a great idea for raised beds.  They sat these galvanized containers on a black tarp type of material to keep the weeds from growing around the containers.  They also used tractor rims as containers also.  I've seen this method used in a lot of community gardens in cities. You can find a lot of galvanized tubs in all sizes and shapes. I see them at a lot at junk and antique shops.

You would need to fill these with good top soil as well as good compost.  I would say half and half.

My garden this year has not done well.  All the rain and major neglect on my part.  I haven't been home as much as I usually am and the weeds this year are taking over the place.  I know it also has to do with the amount of rain we have had.  But I have cleaned out two places close to the house and next week I'm planting spinach and kale for a fall garden.  I might plant some carrots.  I was reading that they are a lot sweeter in the fall than the spring.  Who's knows.  I have planted them in the spring but they didn't do that well. I'm thinking I will try again.  :)

You might try finding a medium size tub and planting spinach in it and placing it on the south side of your house.  I think you would have a good chance of having spinach most of the winter unless we have a brutally cold winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment