Thursday, March 13, 2014

Cola Cake



I'm off to see my sons today.  I was at their apartment recently and they had Little Debbie snack boxes sitting around so I had to step in.  I made this wonderful Cola Cake and I'm taking it to them today.  I haven't made this in years and ran across the recipe, remembered how good it was and decided to make it.  Sometimes, I get hungry for just a good piece of chocolate cake with wonderful chocolate icing and I forgot how well this fills the bill.  It is rich, moist and I had a piece while it was still warm. Oh my goodness.  I really wasn't hungry the rest of the day.  It is so rich and satisfying.

The boys won't mind that two pieces are gone....Gary had one too.  :)

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 cup cola flavored carbonated beverage
1 cup butter
2 tablespoons coco
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups miniature marshmallows

Combine flour, soda, and sugar; stir well and set aside.
Combine cola, butter and coco in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil stirring constantly.  Gradually stir into flour mixture.  Stir in buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and marshmallows.  Pour into a greased and floured 13x9 dish.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.  Top with cola frosting while cake is still warm.

Cola Frosting

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cola flavored carbonated beverage
3 tablespoons coco
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine butter, cola and coco in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.  Before I put this on the cake I put it on medium heat just to warm it up a bit maybe a minute and then poured it over the warm cake.  The icing had become cool and was a little thick and this help thin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment