Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mosaic Flower Pot






I found these huge concrete pots at a nursery that was going out of business about 10 years ago. I got them for $4.00 a piece, great bargain! I have wanted to do a mosaic pattern on these pots ever since I got them. I know, it's taken me quite a while to get this accomplished. I'm just working on one pot now and this one is for the flower garden on the north side of my house. The other pot will sit in the flower garden that is around my vegetable garden. My plan is to have a veggie theme on that pot instead of flowers.

I have collected old dishes from garage sales and old tile that people have discarded from bathroom makeovers for a long time, so I have a pretty good collection of colors. I wish I could say that there is an easy way to do this but if there is, I haven't found it yet. I used the tile nippers for so long the last time I worked on the pot that I have a huge blister in the palm of my hand. So next time, I will be wearing my garden gloves when using the nippers.

I drew a pattern of how I wanted the flowers to look on the pot. I will tell you that as I started to work with my dishes and tiles the look changed somewhat. I still think it is a good idea to draw an idea of what you would like and you can always change it as your working on your project.

I decided to show you my pot as I am working on it in stages instead of showing you the finished product. I am now in the process of making my main designs on the pot.
As you can see on the pot, I had a plate that had the word sweet on it and I used a tea cup saucer with a colored tile in the center for a flower instead of breaking it up. You can see where the saucer was broken, I sanded it a little to remove rough edges so it would be smooth.

I used a chisel and a hammer to break larger pieces and sometimes they went the direction I wanted them to go and other times they went the opposite direction. NO EASY WAY!!!! That's where the nippers came in and the BIG blister developed.

I hope I haven't discouraged you from tackling a mosaic. They are somewhat of a pain but I think they will be really unique and beautiful when they are complete. They can really be an eye catcher.

Until next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment