Monday, January 10, 2011

Green Bean Tee Pee Playhouse


Wow, I can't believe it is already the 10th of January. It seems like it should just be the 2nd or 3rd. Oh well, I was looking at my calendar this morning trying to decide when I am going to start planting my seeds for my tomatoes and herbs. I started the first of March last year and that was too late so I'm thinking around the 3 or 4 week in January. Can't wait to get started on that.

I want to tell you about an idea I saw years ago and thought it was so cute. At the time, my children had passed the age of enjoying this so I have kept the idea tucked away for my grandchildren. It is a green bean tee pee playhouse. When you are planning your garden this year set aside a little space for a small tee pee or a little hut. It needs to be big enough for children to go inside and sit and play. Build the structure and then plant your pole beans (instead of bush beans) along the edge. The beans will climb over your structure and the children can play inside and also pick the beans for you and eat them too :). I think children would love this. You can make this very colorful by planting green, purple and yellow pole beans. You could even incorporate a Morning Glory vine in with the beans and have flowers too. This is a wonderful project to incorporate math lessons, information on nutrition, and getting children excited about gardening, producing and helping them bring out their creativity.

My picture isn't the greatest but hopefully it will give you some ideas. I personally like the tee pee idea myself. You might come up with something better than these two ideas. Be sure and take your poles at least a foot into the ground to have good support. This structure is big enough for just one child. If you have several children you will need to make it larger.

This will be great fun for your children and will make some wonderful memories for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment